The Revenue Department has very close interaction with the General public. Every individual has to approach Revenue Offices frequently for various requirements.The District Collectorate or the District Revenue Office working under the Land Revenue Commissionerate in which working under the Revenue Department in Kerala Government is headed by the District Collector who is assisted by Deputy Collector / Huzur Sheristadar and Senior Superintendents. The District Collector is in overall charge of Revenue District in 2 revenue Divisions, 7 Taluks and 124 Villages. Each Revenue Division is headed by a Revenue Divisional Officer and assisted by a Senior Superintendent among others. Each Taluk is headed by a Tahsildar / Additional Tahsildar who is assisted by Deputy Tahsildars among others. Each Village is headed by a Village officer who is assisted by Special village Officer and Village Assistants. Every District has Taluk Land Boards headed by Revenue Divisional Officers / Deputy Collectors for disposal of land ceiling cases under Kerala Land Reforms Act. In respect of the Development Activities / Welfare Schemes the District Planning Officer, Assistant Development Commissioner and District women Welfare Officer assist the District Collector. And also the Finance Officer And the District Law Officer is assist the District Collector in the Finance Matters and the Legal matters respectively.
District Collector and Subordinate officers in the District are responsible for the various functions which include :-
- Collection of Basic Tax, Plantation Tax, Building Tax etc and effecting Revenue Recovery.
- Issuing of the Various Certificates to the public.
- Maintenance and updation of Land records and act as custodian of Government land.
Assignment of Government lands to various categories of institutions/organisations/individuals and acquisition of land for public purposes.
- Transfer of Government lands between Departments and Conservation of Government lands and trees.
- Implementation of calamity relief operations and disbursement of funds to eligible persons including Chief Minister’s Distress.
- Relief fund (CMDRF) to the needy.
Implementation of various pension schemes e.g. Freedom fighter’s pension and implementation of various housing schemes eg: R.H.S, M.I.G.H., L.I.G.H etc.
- Management and control of natural resources, regulation of sand mining, granite mining etc.
- Issuance of Arms License, Explosive license etc.
- Implementation of MPLADS , SDFMLA and various other development schemes introduced by Government.
- Redressal of public grievances.
- Conduct of Elections including revision of electoral rolls and issuance of photo identity cards for the purpose of voting and general census operations.
- The Executive Magisterial Functions of the entire District, Taluk and Village levels.